“Once in a while it really hits people that they don’t have to experience the world in the way they have been told to.” – Alan Keightley

Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Weekend in Zogore, and I Got Hit By A Moto


         A motorcycle hit me last Wednesday… so I got that going for me, which is nice. No worries; I’m alive and well. I do however have a nice bruise and scrape on my knee, and my bike is rather discombobulated. After that fun incident, we were whisked off to Ouagadougou for demystification. We spent the night in Ouaga, and I had two hamburgers, that were combined to be about as wide as 1/3 of a McDonald’s hamburger. After that, we headed over to Paridisio; a restaurant that we were told was a bar. It was more a dimly lit outside patio area. The lighting scheme resembled that of a bug zapper, very pleasant in that squint to see five feet in front of you kind of way. They had liter beers, which was pretty awesome. The best part: they were on TAP. I haven’t had a beer on tap since before leaving the states. I had two, and then another half liter. It was delicious. We went back to the transit house, a place with roughly thirty beds, Wi-Fi, ceiling fans, and electricity. In other words, it’s awesome. I spent the entire night drinking some beers with a couple other people, some which were current volunteers, and a couple other trainees. We picked their brains about everything; it was really nice.
            When the morning rolled around, I boarded a bus and went to the STAF bus station. I got some coffee and an omelet, and then boarded another bus. This sucked. It is hotter than hell on the bus, and Burkinabe do not like dust, ironically. This means that when you open the window, they promptly close it. I argued with the man behind me, and compromised to have it cracked a few inches so it would hit me. I slept most of the way. The obnoxious kid I was partnered with made “friends” with a young Burkinabe woman and of course she sat in between us. I wanted to kill him. Luckily, I was extremely tired from staying up all night and slept the whole way to Ouahigouya. When we arrived up North, I realized how hot it could really be, and apparently it gets way worse in the hot season. It was well over 100 and it wasn’t noon yet. We boarded a bush taxi, and traveled the 30 kilometers to Zogore. 30 kilometers is not far. It just isn’t no matter how you look at it… unless you take a bush taxi. The dynamics of a bush taxi are as follows: jam as many people, goats, chickens, bikes, bags of rice and corn and legumes, and motorcycles as you can into and onto one shitty looking truck. Add in stops every five minutes or so to throw on another bike and another person, and continue until you reach your destination. For us, this took an hour and half, to go only 30 kilometers. Again, my counterpart I was with made this SO MUCH WORSE. He’s damn obnoxious. I was miserable from the moment I found out I was traveling with him to when I actually got a chance to hang out with our host, who was also named David. Anyways, my travel partner decided it would be a good idea to dance the entire time. Mind that there is not enough room to breath, let alone dance. I could see the looks on everybody else’s faces as they stared and laughed. I could also tell that they were waiting for me to blow up at the guy, and I was pretty damn close.
            Finally, after his obnoxious singing and dancing, we arrived in Zogore, and were greeted by a lot of locals, and a white guy; this was obviously David. David was a cool guy. He is COSing (Close of service) in December, and had a lot of insight to pass along to me. He also liked to drink. When we got in Zogore, we went back to his house, which consisted of two fairly large rooms, a living room and a bedroom. It is extremely hot up North like I said before, so it was very uncomfortable in his house. I bucket bathed, threw on the same clothes, and we departed for a local maquis (bar) where a nearby restaurant brought us dinner. We got spaghetti, which was excellent, baguettes, grilled chicken, and chicken in sauce… and a beer. It was wonderful! Unfortunately, I believe that the chicken I had this weekend is the reason that I’ve been sick for week straight, but I’ll get to that. After eating, we went back to his place, and I spent the night in my bug hut outside. It was comfortable because it really cools down at night up north. So much so that I had to borrow a ponya and use it as a makeshift blanket. It was awesome to be cold again. Unfortunately, that night was when the diarrhea started, thanks chicken.
            I woke up the next morning and we went to get some café au lait (coffee and milk) and a baguette. It’s like an African doughnut. It was damn good. Then, we visited the head of one of the competing bush taxi services and the Imam of the village. It was Tabasky (or Ede everywhere else in the world) so it was an extremely holy day. We went where everybody was praying and I “prayed” with them. I was uncomfortable, but it was a really cool experience that I probably won’t get to relive too many times in the future. We watched them slaughter a ram, brutally. We watched them dig through the stomach to get to the liver and fry it up immediately. Luckily they did not hand me a piece. We went and had tofu for lunch after that. By the way, I haven’t talked about tofu at all, and that is the greatest shit in the world. It takes like chicken, is full of protein, and is readily available up here where protein is few and far between. It’s something that I will be pushing when I move into my actual village because we will learn how to make it later on in stage. Anyways, it was really good. Fast forward again, and I’ll explain that on Tabasky it is tradition to kill and eat rams and/or goats, so meat is everywhere. Somehow I managed to avoid those two, but had a lot of chicken. When we visited the Préfé’s house (non-elected official that competes for power with the mayor), we were fed chicken, popcorn, and these shrimp chips that were amazingly delicious. He also had a rooster that was bigger than anything I’d ever seen in the United States, which is saying something when we feed ours steroids.
            We arrived back at David’s house in the evening, and his neighbor Barnaby shows up and basically throws a live chicken at us. It was an excellent gift, but totally took me by surprise. We left for dinner, and when we arrived, I got a surprise when they asked me to slaughter the chicken. They do things differently here. By that, I mean they don’t break its neck or anything smart like that. Rather, they step on its feet with one foot, its wings with the other, and grab the beak and hold it up. Then you take the dullest knife you can find, and shred until you slit its throat. Needless to say this was an experience for me. I can now say I know how to kill what I eat, but I was very confident there are smarter ways to do this. We ate my chicken later that night amongst a couple beers; I was proud. While we ate, we watched the Africans dance at the local bar, where there were roughly 400 people. My fellow staigaire danced with them, and looked ridiculous, but at least he had fun… I guess. The highlight of my night was that the locals danced and drank and got hammered…. on the Muslim holy day. Oh the differences between Africa and the rest of the world.
            The next day another volunteer came from her village 20 kilometers away, and we made our rounds visiting random people including the mayor. He was cool, I guess. It was a standard day, but that night when we finished our work, we went to the maquis and drank under the almost full moon, which is just unreal here. We ate more chicken, including the liver, was really good actually, and the innards, which I avoided. We went to the same bar as the night before, and drank more and then headed back for bed. All in all, it was a very good day.
            We woke up the next day and jumped on the bush taxi. My travel partner puked five minutes in because he didn’t eat with his malaria medicine, which we are directly instructed to do. This ride was much smoother, and we got there in about fifteen minutes less time, which was nice. Unfortunately, when we got on the next bus, he had made friends with another young African girl, and she sat in between us again. This bus had higher windows, and the same deal happened with the cracked window. It was way hotter this time, and I was pissed off. He took his shirt off when we got on, a complete faux pas in this country, and switched to a shirt with no sleeves, another blatant no-no here. Also, I was jammed like a sardine near the window, and THE BUS WASN”T FULL. I was infuriated, but I sucked it up, and made it through. We got back to Ouagadougou after a very, very long two hours, and I went and ate shawarma, and played on the internet in an air conditioned room until we left. It was truly amazing.
            We arrived back in Zoro that night and a storm was setting in. I missed the cool 90 degrees in Zoro compared to the steaming heat in Zogore, and it was actually nice to see my “family” after the long weekend. That night was when my real issues started. I had to get four times, in the pouring rain and lightning, and go use my latrine (which I haven’t talked about I don’t think but is a hole in the ground that drops about six feet) where I dealt with some wonderful explosive diarrhea. I ran out of toilet paper after the second time. Let’s just say I’m down two pairs of boxers. Whatever, I over-packed anyways. The next day was much more of the same, many visits to the bathroom, and a lot of stomach pain…. Whatever.
            Yesterday was Halloween. It was a long day because we had to stay in Zoro all day, which means no seeing the other 21 volunteers. I had much more of the same stomach issues, but that night I checked what was up, and I was shitting blood. Sorry for that wonderful visual, but this is life here, and people should know it! I called the PCMO (medical officer) and she said, “It’s not good, but you probably won’t die.” That was promising. We went to our buddy Chris’ abode and watched the shining projected on his wall. Dude is a G with technology solely because he brought a projector. The locals swarmed us and watched the entire two and a half hour movie, in English, and it was exactly like a joke-stereotypical movie theater in the US. They were loud the whole time, and kind of ruined the scary effect of it. They freaked out with the whole naked young white woman thing. It was actually hilarious.
            Anyways, I’m alive still, and today my stomach is cooperating a little bit more. Unfortunately, my host dad’s “father” died this morning. I put that in quotations because father here is a relative term. He was the oldest man in the region, and there are tons of people from Kayoro, Zoro, Songa, and Beha here to lend their condolences. We were told he was between the age of 120 and 130… so he was probably about 75. They count by rainy seasons here, so if there was a double rainy season. He gets double the years, its very interesting. We canceled all activities for the day and will be attending the funeral today at 14:00. That’s right, I speak in military time now. Here, funerals are joyous, but it does put everything in perspective. Death happens all the time, and if you get down every time like we do, you’d be a pretty miserable person here. Fortunately our first death was a very elderly person, and not a small child. I’m sure I will have a mild heart attack when that happens, but I’ll try to hold it together. Anyways, this is getting lengthy, but a lot has happened. Moral is low currently amongst the group, but hopefully we will all have stage-wide movie night on Saturday, which would raise spirits. It’s the little things in life here. I’ll talk later about why we have dubbed ourselves Seal Stage (or Hardcore Stage, or Sober Stage) as our nickname. I need to get moving and get some lunch before heading back for the funeral, so I hope all is well everybody, as always.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment